Northern Kentucky Adoption Attorney

As your family’s Northern Kentucky Adoption Attorney, we can assist you with all of your family law needs, including the adoption of a much wanted child.

What Adoption Types Do Hoffman Walker & Smith Handle?

The lawyers of Hoffman Walker & Smith have experience with many forms of adoption. Whether you are a step-parent seeking adoption of a step-child, a couple looking to adopt a child, or birth parents seeking a good home for your baby, our attorneys can help you through the entire process. We handle the following types of adoptions:

  • Foster parent adoptions
  • Step-parent adoptions
  • Family member adoptions
  • Independent adoptions
  • International adoptions

Can I pursue an adoption when the birth parents do not consent?

It is possible in some instances to adopt a child without the consent of the birth parent(s). Specific statutory requirements allow for the termination of parental rights under certain circumstances.   This is typically the process used in a step-parent adoption when a biological parent has abandoned the child or failed to support the child.  The step-parent and their spouse should carefully consider the mental and emotional impact on the child before pursuing termination.  In some instances, it truly is in the child’s best interest to terminate the rights of the natural parent(s) and allow the adoption. To better understand whether your  adoption case could be successful, call Hoffman Walker & Smith for a consultation.

Do we accept state subsidies for foster parent adoptions?

Foster parents that have completed the Foster-To-Adopt program through the Cabinet for Families and Children may be eligible for a state subsidy toward their attorney fees and costs for the adoption. Hoffman Walker & Smith accept this subsidy.

How long is the adoption process in Northern Kentucky?

Each adoption has a unique set of facts which make it impossible to predict how long the process might take.   Several issues to consider are whether the rights of the parent have been terminated or need to be terminated, whether the parent consents, and what proof is needed for a contested hearing.  In an independent adoption, a home study must be completed, which is typically done through an agency and can take many months.  The Cabinet for Health and Family Services and/or a Guardian ad Litem must file a report with the Court recommending the adoption before a final hearing can be scheduled.

Adoption is a highly specialized area of the law. It is crucial that you seek representation from an attorney who has the skills, knowledge, experience, and ability to handle your case.   The adoption lawyer must coordinate the efforts of all persons involved to ensure their work is completed in a timely manner. Our Northern Kentucky Adoption Attorneys will work diligently to help your family reach its goal as soon as possible.

If you are a birth parent looking to give your child up for adoption or are looking to adopt a child, please contact Hoffman Walker & Smith today to schedule a consultation.


p. (859) 371-2227

7348 US 42, Suite 202, Florence, KY 41042

Hoffman Walker & Smith is located in Florence, KY and serves clients in and around Erlanger, Florence, Ft Mitchell, Burlington, Union, Hebron, Independence, Walton, Covington, Kenton, Latonia, Petersburg, Newport, Morning View, Verona, Fort Thomas, Bellevue, Silver Grove, Dayton, Boone County, Campbell County, Gallatin County, Grant County, Kenton County and Pendleton County.

The information and materials on this Web site are provided for general informational purposes only, and are not intended to be legal advice. We attempt to provide quality information, but the law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance. An attorney and client relationship should not be implied. Nothing on this Web site is intended to substitute for the advice of an attorney; therefore, if you require legal advice, please consult with a competent attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction.